Verbose logging

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Oct 15 17:53:23 EST 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 04:49:47PM -0400, Amy A wrote:

> I have a simple question I think.   I have been using rsync for a year now and
> all is going well.   I have it set up in my cron.daily with the -azv option.
> When I receive the email upon completion of the cron is there any options I
> am not aware of that will also show me the size of the file being transfered?

Well, if you want to go to extremes you can use --progress.
This will yield a second line for each file showing file
size, %done, destination file build rate, and time spent on
file in this format (sort of)
       45286 100%  681.11MB/s    0:00:00

In reality --progress is intended for interactive use and
the line will be overwritten many times.  If you want it in
a log file piping it through "col -b" will clean eliminate
all but the last version of each line.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt