Adding support for versioned files in rsync

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Oct 14 11:54:02 EST 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:31:36AM +1000, Christopher Vance wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 01:20:48PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> >>It will never help with rsync-2.5.6.tar.gz vs. rsync-2.5.5.tar.gz
> >>anyway, since any small change early in the stream will cause the entire
> >>file to be encoded differently (side affect of how compression
> >>algorithms work).
> >
> >See the rsyncable patch for gzip which can solve this
> >problem.
>
> Do you know at which version this was included in the gzip release?

It isn't yet.  The debian version of gzip might have the
patch applied because it is an issue for the debian mirror
sites but i don't know.  I believe the gzip developers are
considering applying the patch.

Please note, there is no such patch for gtar so making
.tar.gz files rsyncable will require doing the gzip as a
seperate step.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt