Adding support for versioned files in rsync

Ben Escoto bescoto at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 14 07:30:32 EST 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:43:35 -0400
"Jason M. Felice" <jfelice at cronosys.com> wrote:
> dirvish looks interesting.  One of the requirements that I now realize I
> didn't write into the proposal was the ability to store only a single
> copy of duplicate files... duplicate as determined by file contents, not
> naming or inode or anything.  (Rationale: will likely need to back up
> large numbers of clients with lots of files in common.)

Check out Craig Barrett's BackupPC at

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

It has this feature and I have heard good things about it.  And since
I'm posting this I might as well mention my project at
http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu.  It does versions and uses the rsync
algorithm, but doesn't notice duplicate files.

--
Ben Escoto