Adding support for versioned files in rsync

Jason M. Felice jfelice at cronosys.com
Tue Oct 14 05:57:37 EST 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 05:18:00PM +0100, Andy Henson wrote:
> I propose a new option:
> --comp-file=<file>
>
> allowing:
> rsync -vvtPB --comp-file=$BASE remote.host:$NEW .

Specifying this for each file would be murder for my purposes, but I
like the concept.  I think there needs to be some sort of configurable
logic for determining a "fallback" file when one doesn't exist.  In my
case, it might be nice to have a "fallback directory" and if the file doesn't
exist here, check in the fallback directory.

That doesn't help with ISO images, though.

It would be nice if some generic method that solves all these problems
could be devised.  In my case, I would need to figure out the
highest-versioned file to use if the file we were syncing didn't already
exist.  I can't think of a simple way to make that work.

It will never help with rsync-2.5.6.tar.gz vs. rsync-2.5.5.tar.gz
anyway, since any small change early in the stream will cause the entire
file to be encoded differently (side affect of how compression
algorithms work).

--
 Jason M. Felice
 Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronosys.com/>