PATCH: SSL support

Casey Marshall rsdio at metastatic.org
Mon Oct 13 13:47:14 EST 2003

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: rsync-ssl.patch
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 27004 bytes
Desc: OpenSSL patch for rsync-cvs.

Hi.

I've been hacking together a way to use rsync with OpenSSL, and have
attached my current patch against a recent CVS tree. The details of
this implementation are:

  1. The SSL code is added as a "layer" that is forked into its own
     process.

  2. An SSL connection is established by the client issuing the
     command:

       #starttls

     And, if the server allows SSL, it replies with

       @RSYNCD: starttls

     At which point both sides begin negotiating the SSL connection.
     Servers that can't or don't want to use SSL just treat it as a
     normal unknown command.

  3. The SSL code is meant to be unobtrusive, and when this patch is
     applied the program may still be built with no SSL code.

  4. There are a number of details not implemented.

All warnings apply; I don't do C programming all that often, so I
can't say if I've left any cleanup/compatibility errors in the code.

Also: <http://rsync.samba.org/lists.html> refers to the (now gone)
smart-questions document on tuxedo.org, which should now be catb.org.

Cheers,

- --
Casey Marshall || rsdio at metastatic.org