rsync on OpenVMS

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sun Oct 12 15:33:18 EST 2003

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 12:38:40AM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> I am trying to restart getting rsync to run on OpenVMS, and find a way
> around the fork() issue, posibly using POSIX threads.

It occurs to me that i may have been overly encouraging in
my last followup.

Getting rsync to work using threads, whether pthreads or a
superior form, will require enormous intrusive changes to
the code.  While the rsync team has looked favourably on
that as a goal the huge changes to the codebase needed to
accomplish it make acceptance of patches in that direction
unlikely.  We don't want crufty half-measures.  That the
platforms where fork() presents an issue and where pipes
have performance limitations appear to either be legacy
systems or have an viable guest environment does not much
help your cause.

I do not know but if OpenVMS support is a problem for rsync
proper you might wish to look at pysync or unison which
might meet your immediate needs.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt