RSync hangs up on file transfer

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Oct 9 04:53:54 EST 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:37:27PM +0200, Andre Alexander Bell wrote:
> On Monday 06 October 2003 20:48, jw schultz wrote:
> > updated.  The third is for there to be corruption such as
> > defective hardware or the destination being on nfs.
>
> These harddisks are 6 month old 200MB ide harddisc drives. So they are quite
> new. Nevertheless, since this seems to be the last option to check I'll go
> and get some new harddiscs to check for this...

Hard disks are at the bottom of my list of hardware
failure causing such errors.  Because disks are prone to
error they have a good deal of built-in error detection.
6 months is, however, a fairly typical lifespan for IBM or
Hitachi deskstars.  Hitachi bought out the infamous IBM
deskstar MFG facility and is now making the drives under
their own label.

More likely is PCI timing errors, bad or misrouted cables,
failing memory (under stress), overtemp, and undervolt.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt