error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Oct 7 03:32:04 EST 2003

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:42:00AM -0400, jonathan sabo wrote:
> List,
>
> I am having trouble with a previously working rsync server.
>
> Version:
>
> ># rsync --version
> >rsync  version 2.5.4  protocol version 26
> >Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
> ><http://rsync.samba.org/>
> >Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
> >batchfiles, IPv6,              64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

While 2.5.4 was obsoleted about 17 months ago this is
unlikely to be a bug.

> Rsync is running and I can connect to it with netcat from the server
> vice.  It shows the port is open.  On vader which is the rsync server,
> the disk is not full.
>
> /dev/sdb1            352153072 124431844 209832856  38% /vader1
>
> I had been running a script to rsync over a bunch of stuff but now its
> giving me this error:
>
> [root at vice admin]# rsync -avz mysql.sql vader::vice
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)
>
> I have been reading the posts and havent found an answer yet.  Your help
> is greatly appreciated.

Apparently you didn't read the archives.

Start by examining what might have changed.  Look at the
logs on vader.  Then increment the verbosity at the client.
If no other error messages turn up it is probably a firewall
dropping the session.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt