Cygwin/rsync/ssh automation problems

Paul Thompson captbunzo at squirrelmail.org
Sat Oct 4 02:50:45 EST 2003

Olivier Kaloudoff wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Josh Endries wrote:
>

>To synchronise files between Windows and unix, you might
>take a look at Unison:
>
>http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
>
>Unison is a file-synchronization tool for Unix and Windows. (It also works
>on OSX to some extent, but it does not yet deal with 'resource forks'
>correctly; more information on OSX usage can be found on the unison-users
>mailing list archives.) It allows two replicas of a collection of files
>and directories to be stored on different hosts (or different disks on the
>same host), modified separately, and then brought up to date by
>propagating the changes in each replica to the other.
>
>Olivier

Oliver,

Thanks for your post. I was looking for exactly such a tool yesterday
and stumbled across drsync and unison. I chose to go with drsync,
because for some reason I felt more secure with a tool that was built on
rsync then a new creation completely, which is what unison appears to be.

Can you give me much input on the two tools and your thoughts about why
one (drsync or unison) would be a better choice then the other for
unix/windows, etc, syncronization?

Just for the record and a complete picture, I am planning on keeping two
windows boxes syncronized by using a linux box as an in between. One
windows box is at home behind a cable modem. The other is at work behind
a corporate firewall. The linux box is just an independant server
sitting out on the net.

I assume with either of the tools, I would just independantly syncronize
between each of the windows boxes and the linux box, which would
effectively syncronize the windows boxes. I haven't thought real hard
about it, but I don't think that this should be a problem.

Anyhow, any help and advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul Thompson