Backing up laptops on network

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sat Oct 4 01:02:15 EST 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 02:52:22PM +0100, Reuben Pearse wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are currently looking at a solution for backing up files on laptops
> to a server in a small office (10 users).
>
> I was looking at rsync as a solution. Here is my suggested solution:
>
> Install rsync on network server - this is Windows 2000 :-(
> Share the root of C:\ on laptops
> Schedule rsync to periodically mount to laptops share ove SMB (if they
> can be found) and running an incremental backup
>
> I would welcome comments on this. Thanks!

I'd be cautious about sharing from the laptops.  If they
ever get plugged into another network (wired or wireless)
you have a significant security breach.

I'd also adjust the partitioning so all data files (and
Desktop) are on a separate filesystem. That filesystem can
then be more aggressively backed up.  Whether by rynsc,
unison or some other method.  Splitting the system (OS +
apps) and data filesystems also helps because if things go
strange you can just restore the system filesystem leaving
data untouched and being able to restore to a considerably
older, known stable, image can be advantageous for the
system but not for data.

There will be some files on C: that simply won't get backed
up using normal means so unless you use ghost or dd from a
linux boot cd to occasionally copy the quiescent C: you can
only restore by first installing.  The dd or ghost approach
also gives you a means to do bare metal restores.

PS.  MS has license issues with ghost.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt