password problem with rsync

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Oct 1 15:45:00 EST 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 05:17:07AM +0000, Payal Rathod wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:43:24PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the excellent mail. Forgive for an additional copy to
> you since this might go OT any moment.
>
> > If all you care about is copying: scp.  If you don't care
>
> Ok, I want to overwrite already existing files too.
>
> > about security: rcp or ftp and ftp wrappers.  There is also
>
> ftp wrappers, you mean something like ncftpget?  Anymore???

Many more.  wget for one.

> > If you want to update/synchronise, then i'd suggest rsync.
> > Again, if you care about security, do it over ssh.  If you
>
> Actually, security is not much of an issue.
>
> > don't, then rsh.  If the data needn't be secure, just the
> > account, you could use an rsync daemon but that is much more
> > work.
>
> I though that rsync was just a small program and not a daemon.

It can be run as a daemon that accepts connections from the
rsync utility.  As the rsyncd.conf(5) manpage indicates it
is a bit of work settting it up, especially if all you are
doing is ad-hoc or you already have ssh set up.

> > I'd suggest you get over any aversion to ssh.  Once
> > configured it is the easiest and most secure method to use.
> > And using any other method for remote login except on a
> > private (no route to internet) network is inviting trouble.
>
> Just curiousity question, which docs do I refer to for this rsync ocver
> ssh?

The rsync(1) manpage and ssh documentation.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt