password problem with rsync

Payal Rathod payal-rsync at staticky.com
Wed Oct 1 15:17:07 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:43:24PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
Thanks a lot for the excellent mail. Forgive for an additional copy to
you since this might go OT any moment.

> If all you care about is copying: scp.  If you don't care

Ok, I want to overwrite already existing files too.

> about security: rcp or ftp and ftp wrappers.  There is also

ftp wrappers, you mean something like ncftpget?  Anymore???

> If you want to update/synchronise, then i'd suggest rsync.
> Again, if you care about security, do it over ssh.  If you

Actually, security is not much of an issue.

> don't, then rsh.  If the data needn't be secure, just the
> account, you could use an rsync daemon but that is much more
> work.

I though that rsync was just a small program and not a daemon.

> I'd suggest you get over any aversion to ssh.  Once
> configured it is the easiest and most secure method to use.
> And using any other method for remote login except on a
> private (no route to internet) network is inviting trouble.

Just curiousity question, which docs do I refer to for this rsync ocver
ssh?

With warm regards,
-Payal

--
For GNU/Linux Success Stories and Articles visit:
          http://payal.staticky.com