password problem with rsync

Ron DuFresne ron.dufresne at ncmail.net
Wed Oct 1 05:15:42 EST 2003

don't invlove the network levels, this is merely a filesystem to
filesystem 'copy', with permission ,ownership retention.  the ley is to
do this uder an account with the proper perms to read the filesystem
totally and use the proper rsync capabilities.  This means as root under
a unix like OS and as administrator or similiar account under M$ OS'.

rsync -${params} /home/accounts  /newhome/accounts

This is almost a cp -pdR or tar type operation.  I have the samething
working from a croned job in a production env at present <smile>.  See,
not only does root/admin account have the perms to read the filesystems
and write to them, but the ability to use restricted params like -o -g,
and since those account levels own everything anyways, no passwd's
required.  And eliminating the overhead of the network, even loopback
seems to actually improve transfer times on LARGE filesystem syncs.
Mine are over 3540gigs.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne