RSYNC and Cygwin: @ERROR auth failed on module

cbarratt at users.sourceforge.net cbarratt at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Nov 29 12:45:53 EST 2003

Anuja Doshi writes:

> I'm a student trying to get rsync working correctly on
> my WinXP machine.
> My rsync server works perfectly through cygwin.
>
> BUT, when I try to add authentication, I get the message:
> @ERROR auth failed on module Mobilesync
> rsync connection unexpectedly closed (94 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> tmp/rsync-2.5.6/io.c(165)
>
> This is the command which causes the message:
> rsync -Ppvtl rsync://mobile@littledoshi.mit.edu/Mobilesync/Test1.txt .
> (i get the same error even without the "mobile@"
>
> This is my rsyncd.conf:
> *******
> use chroot = false
> strict modes = false
>
> [Mobilesync]
>
>      path = /cygdrive/c/cygwin/var/mobilesync
>      comment = Mobilesync Test Directory
>      read only = false
>      auth users   = mobile
>      secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
>
> *****
> and my rsyncd.secrets:
>
> mobile:sync

One thing to check (other than double-checking that the path name
/etc/rsyncd.secrets isn't really something else like /etc/rsync.secrets)
is to make sure you have a newline at the end of the last line of your
rsyncd.secrets file.  Rsync ignores the last line if it is not newline
terminated.  You can use od -c to make sure.

Also, if that's the real module name, username or password I recommend
you change all of them immediately.

Craig