how rsync works

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Nov 27 10:51:46 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 09:52:53AM +1100, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 06:04, jw schultz wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:14:56AM -0600, John Van Essen wrote:
> [...]
> > I had thought so too but now i'm less sure.
> >
> > I put it up on October 26th -- for discussion.
> > In the next 14 days there were hits from 107 unique IPs, 73
> > of which were in the first 4 days.  Then it settled down to a
> > slow, declining, trickle that could have been naught but
> > robots.  But no one said anything online or off.  So on the
> > 8th of November i took it down.  Now over two weeks after i
> > took it down and four since putting it up you are the first
> > person to even acknowledge it.
>
> I had a look at it and thought it was good...
>
> > The intent was to, if there is interest, get feedback to
> > polish the document for placement on the web site.  Or to
> > let someone who is perhaps a better writer take it over.
> > Not to self-publish the thing.  Perhaps i had to high of
> > expectations but i expected at least one or two would say
> > something, even if it was just "yuck" or "its a start"
> > before knowledge of it subsided into archives.
>
> I didn't comment at the time because none of the above applied to me,
> and I was slack :-(
>
> > I'll put it back up if i hear more than just a whimper.
>
> At the time I read it I thought; good, something I can point people at
> when they ask me. I think it was a good resource.

OK.  I've put it back up for now.  This document is a
project, not an entity and i have no intention of hosting it
indefinitely.  If it is a good resource it belongs on the
rsync web site but i'd like to see it under cvs so the rsync
team can update it and similar documents.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt