Need help with exclude

daniel djoneill at gmx.net
Wed Nov 26 04:44:54 EST 2003

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 03:53:10AM -0600, daniel wrote:
> > Thank you for clarifying the issue with regard to the fact that the
> > exclude pattern is relative to the destination path.
>
> No, it's relative to the root of the transfer -- i.e. the names that the
> two sides have in common.

First let me clarify the directory structure:

/foo
    /test
         /dir1

But now I'm lost again.  What is the "root of the transfer" of this:

rsync -av /foo/test/ serv2:/foo/

?

My understanding was that the exclude is relative to the destination path, so:

 rsync -av --exclude=/foo/test/dir1/ /foo/test/ serv2:/foo/

would actually exclude /foo/foo/test/dir1/  (non-existant)