rsync : permission denied

Thierry ITTY thierry.itty at besancon.org
Tue Nov 25 16:33:49 EST 2003

I have 2 servers I'm keeping synch'ed via rsync
intel rh9 boxes with 2.4.20 kernel with xfs (1.3.0), acl, quota... and ootb
rsync 2.5.5 rpm

it works fine since a while

recently I created a directory with restricted access, and I get
"permission denied" error messages. this directory named RESTRICTED belongs
to user "user1" group "group1" and has drwxrwx--- access, + explicit acls
(see below)

on both sides (client and server) I'm running as root, as you'll see below,
and it doesn't work thought root is supposed to have an implicit access

I tried to give an explicit root access through ACLs, but it doesn't work

on the other hand, if I give "other" rx rights, it works fine.

the problem is that it is NOT secure to give "other" a read/execute access
to this directory, nor is it possible to change the user or group owners

[root at master dir]# getfacl RESTRICTED/
# file: RESTRICTED
# owner: user1
# group: group1
user::rwx
group::rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:group1:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

[root at master dir]# ls -ald RESTRICTED/
drwxrwxr-x    5 user1   group1    16384 nov 20 18:00 RESTRICTED/

[root at master dir]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/rsync
# default: off
#       allows crc checksumming etc.
service rsync
{
        disable = no
        # *** disable   = yes
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/bin/rsync
        server_args     = --daemon
        log_on_failure  += USERID
}

How does rsync check permissions ??? is it ACL compatible ?

thanks for advice

Please cc me (thierry.itty at besancon.org) I'm not subscribed