rsync / cygwin hanging problem

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Nov 20 10:44:50 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:20:16PM -0500, Jim Salter wrote:
> > over ssh on windows.  Rsync apparently works OK as a daemon
> > on whendoze and when accessing an rsync daemon.
>
> Actually I'm using Rsync as a client under cygwin / win2K to access rsync in
> daemon mode on a FreeBSD 5.1 server.  The process hangs for no apparent
> reason, and even when not utterly "hung" sits around consuming almost zero
> CPU resources, only to suddenly and inexplicably lurch back into action and
> start actually doing things again and eat 25-70% of system resources again
> minutes later.

Sounds like data getting stuck in the pipes perhaps combined
with poor process scheduling.  I don't think we'll ever
really know unless someone fully instruments this using
traces on all processes time correlated with tcpdump.  That
is a lot of work.

> It may be worth noting that this behavior only shows up when updating an
> existing mirror - if using rsync as a fancy networked version of cp, it
> behaves as expected.
>
> It is also worth noting that I just replaced the stock 2.5.6 under Cygwin
> with the recommended replacement from the BackupPC project, with no apparent
> difference whatsoever.
>
> And finally, SSH under Cygwin seems to work fine; as aforementioned I've
> experimented with using Unison and it operates quickly, smoothly and
> reliably using Cygwin/SSH as a transport... unfortunately it also does an
> incredibly bad job of being a one-size-fits-all automated mirroring tool,
> since by design it bombs entirely out of synch jobs and does absolutely
> nothing with ANY of the job if it encounters anything it doesn't like on any
> single file.
>
> > When will this problem be resolved?  That may prove to be a
> > question of perspective.  Some might say it already is.  It
> > would be nice if rsync were reliable on that other, legacy
> > OS (Windos) so ...
>
> If you're trying to convince me that Windows sucks, you're preaching to the

I'd no more do that than try to convince someone that water
is wet.

> clergy.  But I still have to support an awful lot of people who use it for
> disturbingly important things, so... ::helpless shrug::

::sympathy::  Now if i can just convince some people that
there is an alternative maybe i can improve my cashflow.

[snip]

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt