Win2k Scheduler not able to execute rsync over SSH

Jim Salter jsalter at jrssystems.net
Thu Nov 20 08:35:01 EST 2003

> I set up my pub rsa id and all that stuff.
>
> My problem is here:
> I have a batch file which logs itself. The batch file contains some
logging commands and
> rsync -avze ssh user at server:/directory/. /local_dir
>
> This command is executed fine at the command prompt. (Doesnt ask for
password or passphrase as it is all setup.)

> when I execute this batch file thorugh the Win2K Task scheduler all the
other commands in the batch file are
> executed except the above command. Dont know why.

Most likely the problem is that the Task Scheduler is executing your batch
file under a different user context than the one in which you are executing
it from the command line.  Remember that cygwin's openssh looks for public
keys under the user profile for whichever user context is currently
relevant - so if for instance Task Scheduler is operating as LocalSystem and
you published your SSH keys as Administrator, you will have no joy in your
automated SSH task.

Hope that helped.

Jim Salter
JRS Systems