Special files and Cygwin

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Nov 18 22:02:01 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 09:08:12AM -0800, Pier Paolo Glave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use rsync to backup a linux filesystem
> to a windows server.
> I followed the hints that I found at
> http://www.tiarnan.phlegethon.org/rsyncntdoc.html to
> run rsync on windows, and it works quite well.
>
> The only problem I found is that windows is not able
> to backup linux special files (/dev/*).
> I don't know if the problem is in the way rsync has
> been compiled, or simply in the fact that mknod.exe is
> missing.

Ultimately the problem is that Windows doesn't have special
files.  Not in the OS nor in the filesystems.  The fact that
there is no mknod.exe is irrelevant though indicative.

UNIX/Linux and Windows have completely different semantics
so there will be some loss of metadata going either
direction.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt