rsync 2.5.6 hanging in cygwin on Windows shares

John Hunt john.rsync at yoredale.uklinux.net
Tue Nov 18 05:53:52 EST 2003

rsync 2.5.6 is hanging in cygwin, at the end when it should print a summary of
bytes sent etc and exit. It has successfully copied all the files before
hanging.

It does this every time when copying to or from a Windows share. (It sometimes
hangs when copying from one local drive location to another, but I have not
tested this as thoroughly.)

The Windows shares are almost certainly on Windows machines, probably win
2000, but are not within my control (managed by an out-sourced IT dept).
I am running cygwin on a Windows 2000 PC.

I have worked around this by reverting to rsync 2.5.5 that has always worked
perfectly for me.

The suggested rsync.exe replacement at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/backuppc/ also hangs.

(If you need more details, eg exact rsync command I am using, please ask.)

Apologies if this problem is already known about; I searched the archives but
found nothing that quite matches what I have observed.

John Hunt
Stokesley, N Yorks, UK
e-mail: john.rsync at yoredale.uklinux.net