"touch" option for -c ?

Rich Winkel rich at math.missouri.edu
Sat Nov 15 07:15:03 EST 2003

Hi, I hope this hasn't been asked before ... I couldn't find it anyway.

To the best of my knowledge, without the -c option rsync judges file
differences based on date stamp and file size.  This speeds things up
of course but can be problematic when date stamps of two otherwise
identical files are uncontrollable (say when they come from two
different sources, such as installed from CD vs FTP).  So -c is
called for, right?  Is there any way to have rsync syncronize the
date stamps of the files on the destination host (even the ones
that aren't changed) so that subsequent rsyncs can omit -c?

Thanks,
Rich