IPv6 literal addresses on command line

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Nov 14 21:39:33 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 04:44:18AM -0800, cam wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Can anyone give me a hint on how to specify an IPv6 address in an
> rsync address literal - the colon character is already used to
> seperate the host name from the remote directory AFAICT... I get, e.g.
>
> rsync -Cavb 3ffe:502:420:120::2:/home/cam/dev/proj
> 3ffe: Unknown host
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> io.c(150)
>
> Found some discussion of patches regarding IPv6 address-matching from about
> July so I went for the most recent CVS snapshot I could find (although to be
> honest and with only a superficial reading of the posts, the patches seemed to
> be related to matching addresses in some of the config files):
>
> rsync  version 2.5.6cvs  protocol version 26
> Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
> <http://rsync.samba.org/>
> Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
>               IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

If you want current source you can either get it directly
from cvs per the instructions or with rsync
rsync://rsync.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/rsync

Martin, can we either get the nightly snapshots working
again (http://ftp.samba.org/ftp/rsync/nightly/) or get rid
of them.  Those are more than a year out of date predating
the latest annointed release by about six months.  This is
worse than no CVS snapshots.
ftp://rsync.samba.org/pub/rsync/cvsroot.tar.gz is even more
out of date.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt