Next release of rsync - when?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Nov 11 15:02:19 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:52:22PM -0600, John Van Essen wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > ... This fix is also in CVS (along with several others).
>
> As another poster pointed out recently, it's been a long time since
> 2.5.6 was released (Jan 28 2003).
>
> Many recent replies to questions posted to this list are variants
> of "It's already fixed in CVS".
>
> Are there any particular reasons for holding back the next release?

As far as i can tell it is just a matter of a maintainer
committing the time needed to do the release.

> Will the next release be 2.6.0 because of the protocol number bump?

I don't think so.  It should be 2.5.7.  While there have
been some UI changes they haven't been the sort that require
changing existing scripts.

> I'd sure like to see the full list of changes since 2.5.6 and begin
> testing a release candidate.

It is in the changelog and a summary is in NEWS.

CVS is stable and qualifies as a candidate now.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt