unexpected --exclude pattern behaviours with glob wildcards

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Nov 11 04:47:15 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:28:39PM -0500, Ian! D. Allen wrote:
> I see from the CVS log that some of the following awkwardness may be
> fixed (or at least different) in the next public release.

Yes, there was quite a bit of bug-fixing in this area for the next
release.  The 2 problems you cited were among my list of bugs that
I targeted and fixed for the next release.

> If I use a ** in a pattern it's because I *want* it to match the
> slashes!

Precisely.  This is now assumed (and documented) in the CVS version.

> I don't understand the above at all.  Adding a wildcard character to
> a working exclude shouldn't cause it to fail.

Quite so.  This bug was happening because wildcard-containing strings
with an interior slash were not "floating" at the end of the path.
Thus, your string is treated as having a leading '/' if it has a
wildcard in it, which is why it suddenly failed to match when you added
the '?' to it.  This fix is also in CVS (along with several others).

Thanks for your bug report!