ssh & keep absolute local paths from --include-from=file remotely

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Nov 10 18:21:03 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 01:58:07AM +0100, Thomas Otto wrote:
> So all I want is rsyncing files while preserving their _absolute_ paths
> on the target machine which doesn't seem possible.

Check out the --relative (-R) option in the man page.  That would let
you do something like this:

rsync -avR `cat /path/file-list` dest:/

Or, the CVS version of rsync which has the --files-from option:

rsync -av --files-from=/path/file-list / dest:/

(Note that the --files-from option implies --relative.)