Implemented "--exclude-old" in rsync

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Nov 8 04:12:10 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 02:43:12PM -0500, Yair Lenga wrote:
> Does anyone has any idea if it's possible to add "exclude-old <days>" to
> 'rsync' - which will instruct rsync to exclude files older than a
> specific date ?

I'd suggest looking into "unison", which is designed to sync data in
both directions.  With it, you'd just run the cleanup job on one machine
and the files would vanish on the other machines during the next unison
run.

As for an rsync-related solution, you could keep a list of all the files
you just removed and use it as an exclude list for incoming transfers.
You could trim the list as soon as all the systems were known to have
finished the cleanup job.