MD4 Engine Bug?

Mihai Danila biotech at personal.ro
Thu Nov 6 23:58:44 EST 2003

Hello,

While porting rsync 2.5.6 to .NET (C#), I noticed
that the MD4 engine in the original source code
in my possession behaved differently from the
C# MD4 engine that I was using in my own code.

While testing the file transfer between my program
and a compiled version of rsync 2.5.6, I noticed
that the file checksums generated for the entire file
to detect corruption on the link were different.

While digging down in the source code, I noticed that
the MD4 engine in the original source code that
I possess did not perform the MD4 tail operation
if the last block fed into the engine was exactly
the size of the other blocks.

I did not and do not have the time to study the
RFCs but I would guess that MD4 Tail must be called
in all circumstances at the end of the hashing.

Regards,
Mihai Danila