workaround for HFS+'s case-insensitivity?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Nov 4 21:08:03 EST 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:29:59AM +0000, Daniel M. Drucker wrote:

> I am using Mike Rubel's snapshot-style rsync to do backups from my web
> server (Linux) to my desktop (MacOS X). Mostly, this works great,
> except where case sensitivity (or rather, HFS+'s semi-lack thereof)
> causes problems.
>
> Specifically, it seems impossible to successfully back up my Linux box's
> /usr/share/terminfo, as it contains directories that differ ONLY in
> case (e.g., /usr/share/terminfo/X and /usr/share/terminfo/x).
>
> Short of repartitioning my hard drive and making a UFS partition, is
> there any workaround anyone has come across?

There can be no fix for this.  A filesystem that is case
insensitive, even if case preserving, is inherently unable
to support files whose names differ only in case.  Perhaps
there is mount option for hfs+ to make it case sensitive.
Otherwise you would be better off with a SUS compliant
filesystem if you wish to use the hardlinked disk backups.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt