Mirroring cvs archives

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Nov 4 09:02:50 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:08:48AM +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> I have started mirroring various cvs archives such as gcc, but I have started
> wondering/worrying about the validity of doing this. If the cvs archive is
> busy and potentially subject to many accesses during the rsync process, is
> the mirrored copy going to be valid/consistent?
>
> Any information/help greatly apprieciated

Each file will be self-consistent.

If someone commits a set of files while the rsync runs it is
possible that some of the files will reflect the commit and
some won't.  I don't think there is any meta-data that would
suffer much from inter-file inconsistency but that would be
a question for the CVS people.

Few CVS repositories get so much activity that they have no
quiescent moments.  If full consistency is wanted there may
be a file you can check before and after the rsync to see if
anything changed and then do a resync.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt