an --exclude-from question

Jason Philbrook jp at saucer.midcoast.com
Sat Nov 1 03:59:54 EST 2003

It's probalby a common question, and I've read the man pages and such, but
I need a little bit more help getting this specific task to work right.

Basically, I want to mirror home directory structures, and only two files
within each home directory, to other machines from a central server. Those
files are ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs and ~/.procmailrc. Other files should
not be transfered, so I'm looking for some sort of wildcard statement to
do that.  If I just put a * in there, nothing transfers. If I want to
transfer other files at a later date, I'll add them into the file with +'s.
I would like to not have to specify each filename that I want to exclude.

Thanks,
Jason

This is all on the client machine.

mc1:/usr/local/mis/etc # cat mirror.home.exclude
+*/
+.spamassassin/user_prefs
+.procmailrc
+/home/*
.forward
public_html
mc1:/usr/local/mis/etc # cat ../sbin/mirror.home
#!/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/rsync -avvW --delete
--exclude-from=/usr/local/mis/etc/mirror.home.exclude --force --stats
root at 10.0.18.27::home /home
 mc1:/usr/local/mis/etc # mirror.home
opening tcp connection to 10.0.18.27 port 873
receiving file list ...
done
expand file_list to 4000 bytes, did move
excluding directory daydream/public_html because of pattern public_html
deleting in .
delta-transmission disabled for local transfer or --whole-file
daydream/.bash_history is uptodate
daydream/.bashrc is uptodate
daydream/.profile is uptodate
jp/.bash_history is uptodate
jp/.bashrc is uptodate
jp/.muttrc is uptodate
jp/.profile is uptodate
jp/.spamassassin/user_prefs is uptodate
jp/Mailbox is uptodate
jp/passwd is uptodate
rsync[2509] (receiver) heap statistics:
  arena:         135168   (bytes from sbrk)
  ordblks:            6   (chunks not in use)
  smblks:             2
  hblks:              0   (chunks from mmap)
  hblkhd:             0   (bytes from mmap)
  usmblks:            0
  fsmblks:           40
  uordblks:        6888   (bytes used)
  fordblks:      128280   (bytes free)
  keepcost:       90576   (bytes in releasable chunk)

Number of files: 14
Number of files transferred: 0
Total file size: 8819 bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 320
Total bytes written: 175
Total bytes read: 356

wrote 175 bytes  read 356 bytes  1062.00 bytes/sec
total size is 8819  speedup is 16.61
mc1:/usr/local/mis/etc #

--
/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Internet Access,