Minor problem with unwritable directories

Elijah P Newren newren at math.utah.edu
Sat May 31 02:15:11 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm not a member of the list, but I think I've run across a (minor)
bug.  The rsync web page directed me to this list for bug reports.
Anyway, I've described it below (including a simple test case with exact
commands to reproduce and the output I get from those commands).  I hope
this helps.  Let me know if any more information is needed.

Elijah

P.S. If it isn't a bug, could someone describe to me why this is
expected behavior?  I asked the sysadmin about it and he says it looks
like a bug to him.

-- Description of problem --

  Versions of rsync tested: 2.5.5, 2.5.6

  Clear all write permissions on a directory.  Use rsync to make a
  mirror of that directory (and perhaps other files and directories as
  well).  Without making any changes to any file or directory that was
  just mirrored, immediately run rsync again (I do this often to
  verify that no changes have occurred when mirroring large
  directories with potentially open files--such as when I backup
  /home).  All directories that are not writable--even though
  unchanged--will be sent again.  [Note that unwritable files are not
  transferred again--this only occurs with directories].

-- Set of commands to reproduce problem --

  mkdir -p temp1/some/set/of/subdirectories/
  mkdir temp2
  chmod -R a-w temp1/some/set/of
  rsync -av temp1/ temp2/
  rsync -av temp1/ temp2/

-- Output from those commands --
  # Note the 2nd rsync run and how unwritable directories are listed
  # again

  1190 newren at amr:~$ mkdir -p temp1/some/set/of/subdirectories/
  1191 newren at amr:~$ mkdir temp2
  1192 newren at amr:~$ chmod -R a-w temp1/some/set/of
  1193 newren at amr:~$ rsync -av temp1/ temp2/
  building file list ... done
  ./
  some/
  some/set/
  some/set/of/
  some/set/of/subdirectories/
  wrote 127 bytes  read 20 bytes  294.00 bytes/sec
  total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
  1194 newren at amr:~$ rsync -av temp1/ temp2/
  building file list ... done
  some/set/of/
  some/set/of/subdirectories/
  wrote 127 bytes  read 20 bytes  294.00 bytes/sec
  total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
  1195 newren at amr:~$

Elijah Newren
Internet: http://www.math.utah.edu/~newren   newren at math.utah.edu
Tired of pop-up webpages when surfing the internet?  Look at
   http://www.math.utah.edu/~newren/noPopUps.html
for how to get rid of them without spending a penny.