"whole file" default behavior question

ecantu at satx.rr.com ecantu at satx.rr.com
Wed May 28 11:06:15 EST 2003

Hello All,

I'm probably too stupid to live, but need help none the less.

Scenario:

A Redhat 9 workstation sending files to >>> freebsd4.8 server running rsync
daemon.

both are 2.5.6

Test:  Send 500 Meg file "test.avi" with date Jan 01, 2001 across like this:

(from redhat box)

#rsync test.avi server::temp/test

the file gets sent across, just fine, but now on the server, the file date is current
time/date.   This, I expect. (-a would preserve the date) I then run from the
redhat box, the exact same command

#rsync test.avi server::temp/test

Now the unexpected (for me anyway) happens: entire file is sent across.  Is this
normal?

Thanks,