patch against manpage

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Thu May 15 18:05:50 EST 2003

Regurgitating an old thread...

On Wed 12 Mar 2003, jw schultz wrote:

> > > If we are going to embellish this description it would be
> > > good to make it clear that the behavior of rsync in this
> > > regard is the same as that of cp.

I've come up with this for the manpage, that should help clear things up
for just about all people :-) :

.IP "\fB-p, --perms\fP"
This option causes rsync to update the permissions of existing destination
files to be the same as the source files\&.
Like other file copy utilities new destination files will receive the same
permissions as their source files with this option\&.
Without this option, the umask at the receiving end will determine the
permissions of new files (again, like other file copy utilities)\&.

I believe that it's accurate, and leaves no room for doubt anywhere (which is
good for a manpage).

Paul Slootman