--exclude-from works but "exclude from" in rsyncd.conf doesn't ?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat May 10 12:33:50 EST 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 05:13:27PM -0400, Carson Gaspar wrote:
> Except it doesn't always, because the server doesn't canonicalize pathnames
> when a client requests a file via rsync::

Thanks for reminding me of this bug.  I've created a patch that fixes
the problem.  This is relative to the CVS version:

    http://www.blorf.net/rsync-daemon-exclude.patch

When specifying daemon exclusions, you still need to be extra careful to
make your excludes more powerful than normal.  For instance.  If you
just say this, it won't be enough:

- /foo/
- /bar/baz/

This will stop the user's request if they ask for host::module/foo or
host::module/bar/baz, but if they add even just a trailing slash, rsync
will start matching /foo/FILE names, and that doesn't match the
exclusion.

What you need to specify is this:

- /foo/
- /foo/**
- /bar/baz/
- /bar/baz/**

Doing that will make it impossible for the user to access any of the
excluded directories, no matter how the user tries to reference them.