--exclude-from works but "exclude from" in rsyncd.conf doesn't ?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sat May 10 09:04:27 EST 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 01:16:14PM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 10:40:48AM +0100, Sam Sexton wrote:
> > Perhaps "only applies on the server" needs to be defined more
> > precisely.
>
> It is defined precisely in the "exclude" section (which the "exclude
> from" section tells you to "see also").
>
> > Are you saying that the exclusions have to
> > be defined in a file on the server _and_ the copy performed _from_ the
> > server rather than _to_ it?
>
> Not quite but close.  If you're transferring files to a server with the
> --delete option, files in the "exclude from" list on the server would
> not be deleted, so it does have some effect when sending to a server
> (just not the effect you're expecting).  As the man page states, the
> option is not the equivalent of specifying the --exclude-from option on
> the command-line, and its main purpose (at the moment) is to limit what
> can be downloaded from a server -- i.e. it makes certain files invisible
> on the server, but the client side doesn't know about the exclusions at
> all.

You might want to re-read the release manpage.  It says
	This  is equivalent to the client specifying
	these patterns with the  --exclude  option,
	except...

I changed cvs to try to head off confusion.  The four
options are now described as "only superficially equivalent"
and the "see also" is changed to "see" to indicate the
non-supplementary nature of the reference.

> In thinking about this, it should be possible to change this to affect
> what gets sent to the daemon from a client -- i.e.  it should be
> possible to tweak the generator to honor this exclusion list by having
> it skip any file in the list that matches.  We'd have to investigate
> this to be sure (if we think it would be a desirable change).

This would be a good idea.  I really wonder at the value of
an exclude list that makes the files write-only but
undeletable.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt