--exclude-from works but "exclude from" in rsyncd.conf doesn't ?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat May 10 06:16:14 EST 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 10:40:48AM +0100, Sam Sexton wrote:
> Perhaps "only applies on the server" needs to be defined more
> precisely.

It is defined precisely in the "exclude" section (which the "exclude
from" section tells you to "see also").

> Are you saying that the exclusions have to
> be defined in a file on the server _and_ the copy performed _from_ the
> server rather than _to_ it?

Not quite but close.  If you're transferring files to a server with the
--delete option, files in the "exclude from" list on the server would
not be deleted, so it does have some effect when sending to a server
(just not the effect you're expecting).  As the man page states, the
option is not the equivalent of specifying the --exclude-from option on
the command-line, and its main purpose (at the moment) is to limit what
can be downloaded from a server -- i.e. it makes certain files invisible
on the server, but the client side doesn't know about the exclusions at
all.

In thinking about this, it should be possible to change this to affect
what gets sent to the daemon from a client -- i.e.  it should be
possible to tweak the generator to honor this exclusion list by having
it skip any file in the list that matches.  We'd have to investigate
this to be sure (if we think it would be a desirable change).