rsync ignoring some new files

Brian Vaughan bvaughan at fame.com
Sat Mar 29 03:54:27 EST 2003

Thanks, J.W.   Removing the -C worked.   But it also showed that the -C
didn't do what I thought it did.  The man page says:

           -C, --cvs-exclude           auto ignore files in  the  same way
CVS does

For some reason I read this to mean that it was excluding the cvs-specific
files in the 'CVS' directories that cvs puts everywhere it is used.

Exactly what is it really excluding?

At 01:58 PM 3/27/2003 -0800, jw schultz wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 04:06:31PM -0500, Brian Vaughan wrote:
> > I have found several instances where rsync refuses to copy a new file.
> > I am using it to sync changes from a staging web server to production
> > servers, and there are certain files that it just plain won't copy.  The
> > file is totally new.  No such name has ever existed on the target server(,
> > or on the source server until now).
> >
> > In this instance, I added 3 completely new files to the same
> > directory.  Two are copied perfectly, and one of them (ending in tar.Z) is
> > ignored completely.  All files have the same permission.
> > -rw-rw-r--   1 cvsuser  cvsgroup   12420 Mar 27 13:37
> > lesstif-0.93.18-5.i386.rpm
> > -rw-rw-r--   1 cvsuser  cvsgroup 28452909 Mar 27 13:37
> fame90linux_x86.tar.Z
> > -rw-rw-r--   1 cvsuser  cvsgroup 2539144 Mar 27 13:37
> > lesstif-0.93.18-5.src.rpm
> >
> > The command that I am using
> >     /usr/local/bin/rsync -avuz -C ---status
> > --exclude-from=/disk1/tools/scripts/syncwww_exclude --rsh=ssh
> > /disk1/wwwstage/noncvs/downloads www2.fame.com:/disk1/noncvs
> >
> > No error is given.  So as many times as I execute the above, it says no
> > files transferred:
> > building file list ... done
> >
> > Number of files: 30
> > Number of files transferred: 0
> > Total file size: 684817120 bytes
> > Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
> > Literal data: 0 bytes
> > Matched data: 0 bytes
> > File list size: 874
> > Total bytes written: 886
> > Total bytes read: 20
> >

> > The exclude only has a couple server-dependent file names.  No wildcards.
> >
> > I am running rsync 2.4.6 on Solaris 8.
>
>The -C option.
>
>--

Brian Vaughan