rsync speed

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Mar 28 10:44:38 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 05:25:06PM -0600, Karl.Rossing at Federated.CA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I poked around the website and did some digging in the list archives but
> thought i'd better pose my question here.
>
> I'm using rsync to synchronize two directories on a Solaris 8 e450 server.
> rsync copies about 22GB per night. It seems to take 50 minutes for the
> copy to complete. which seems a little bit slow.
>
> I'm currently running
> # /opt/bin/rsync -v
> rsync version 2.3.1 Copyright Andrew Tridgell and Paul Mackerras
>
> If i upgrade to 2.5.6 can i expect to see a speed increase.

I doubt anyone could really say.  It is possible but
unlikely.  The biggest factor affecting performance on local
transfers is the disk subsystem bandwidths and disk layout.
That is of course predicated on the assumption that you are
using --whole-file which was apparently not the default for
local transfers in 2.3.1

Given the number of bugfixes and the impossiblilty of
supporting such an old version an upgrade is recommended.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt