Rsync error main.c

KING,RICHARD (HP-Boise,ex1) richard_king at am.exch.hp.com
Fri Mar 28 03:29:33 EST 2003

Rsync Ver: 2.5.5
OS: HPUX-11

Hello List,

I'm using rsync with ssh with this command line:

rsync -avz -e ssh some_file user-b at hostname-b:/home/user-b

Which does work, however I get the following error output:

rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at main.c(578)

Since the file does transfer, is the error output just some sort of bug? I
looked in the maillist archives, and I found only one person that replied
stating that the error message was merely a "user friendly nit".

What I would like to know is:
A) Is the error message something to be concerned about?
B) Is there a patch?
C) What option to use to surpress the error message?

However, I did find it odd in using the following command line, I did not
get any error output:

rsync -avz -e ssh hostname-a:/home/user-a/some_file /home/user-b

Any help with the error message would be greatly appreciated.

Rick King