A checksum question

Terry Raggett Terry.Raggett at ecmwf.int
Wed Mar 26 22:00:38 EST 2003

I'm sorry if you mis-understood me on this issue. I'm not trying to
denigrate Rsync, as we are convinced that it is a highly capable tool
that we can adapt for our needs. It is just that in certain situations
the checksum processing absorbs a lot of CPU time. I have a user that
has been using the 2.4.6 version for some considerable time and is very
happy with it. However, when I moved him to the 2.5.5 version he found
that his transfers took considerably longer. This appears to be due to
the introduction of the MD4 checksum, I believe was introduced at
release 2.5.

We have a large and disparate computer centre, with virtually every
flavour of unix, where we find that Rcp is less than reliable for moving
data between them. This unreliability has prompted us to look at other
solutions, with Rsync at the top of the list, as it implements many of
the features that we have identified for our needs, checksumming (for
data integrity) being one of them.

Regards,

Terry
-----