Fairly serious exclude problem with modules

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Wed Mar 26 05:38:58 EST 2003

There is a rather major issue with excludes when using modules. I've seen
no mention of this outside of vague warnings in the rsynd.conf man page.
Given:

[test]
	path = /tmp/foo
	exclude = /bar/baz

And a file /tmp/foo/bar/baz/biff

rsync -avvH rsync://server/test/ /mydir/

correctly excludes the directory baz.

However:

rsync -avvH rsync://server/test/bar/ /mydir/bar/

does not

As far as I can tell, if the directory exported on the server has
sub-directories, there is absolutely no way to reliably exclude full paths.
This is _really_ bad if you want to make a directory available, but do not
want some sensitive files in a subdirectory available (say, private key
files).

The server _really_ should do some path canonicalization on the server side
before comparing against excludes / includes.

--
Carson