Modified --files-from patch

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Mar 25 05:02:44 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:00:33AM -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 02:45:33PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > Does this patch transfer the files in the order given?
>
> No, at least not at the moment.  I suppose that if -r wasn't specified
> that the code could avoid the sort for both the --files-from mode and
> the normal mode where files are specified on the command-line.  (We'd
> have to do a version-check for backward compatibility.)  It would also
> remove the duplicate-removal checking, which can sometimes cause
> problems, but since duplicate-removal was broken in all recent versions
> prior to the most recent, it might not be that big of a problem.  I'm
> kind of ambivilant about adding this, though.  Opionions?

The thing to do is to pare down the sorting.  Only sort on
the sender (if at all) so that once sent the file order is
inviolate.  Moving clean_flist to before transmission would
do that.  Twould be protocol dependant but should improve
performace a mite.  Once that were done clean_flist could
alter, or not, the flist order without breaking anything.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt