rsync 2.5.6 still hangs

Steve Greenland steveg at moregruel.net
Fri Mar 21 03:29:05 EST 2003

On 20-Mar-03, 08:28 (CST), "Andrew J. Schorr" <aschorr at telemetry-investments.com> wrote:
> 1. In rsync 2.5.5, I found that the -vvv flag can cause repeatable
>    rsync hangs.  Since I was using it to debug a real problem, it
>    was very confusing and misleading.  But in the end, I determined
>    that -vvv itself was often the culprit.

Oh, joy. Even worse than having the debugging option "fix" the bug.

And for the record, I get the hang regardless of my '-v' setting
(anywhere from 0-4 "v"s). Nope, that's not quite true, I've at least
once seen that setting '-vvvv' and *not* re-directing to a file lets
the job run to completion - <GUESS>all the output to a terminal window
affects the timing enough that it doesn't trigger the <GUESS2>race
condition</GUESS2></GUESS>.

> 2. I have a nightly cron job to sync up 2 servers, and rsync gives
>    me the following error (or something similar) every night (this is
>    the reason I was debugging with -vvv):
>
> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 174 bytes: phase "unknown": Broken pipe
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at ../io.c(622)

Nope, I don't get any error message at all, it just stops transferring
data in either direction, until it hits the timeout or I ctrl-C the
client.

>    My solution to the problem has been to test the return code from
>    rsync and simply rerun the exact same command when I get an error
>    return from rsync.  Every night I find that the first attempt
>    fails after a while, but the second one always works.

I don't have any luck repeating the command -- I get the same problem.
I can work-around by doing one file at a time, but it would be sweet to
actually resolve the problem, because it seems to hit quite a few people
based on the list archive.

Another bit of info: setting --bwlimit doesn't seem to help.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net