Dirvish, --link-dest and permissions

Bert Bee-Lindgren rsync at b.sproing.net
Sat Mar 15 12:33:10 EST 2003

(I'm not sending this to dirvish at pegasus because I think that this message
applies more to rsync's --link-dest option than to just dirvish.)

I recently noticed a huge spike in dirvish network usage and traced it to
files whose permissions had been changed. (with rsync v2.5.6)

I understand and agree that a --link-dest copy of a source file cannot be
hardlinked to, but couldn't a simple file copy be done from the link-dest
directory and then the permissions/ownership be changed of that new copy?

I think that this would reduce network usage by increasing the value of the
link-dest files. In some cases (chown/chmod -R, etc), the difference would
be immense.

What do people think? And any guidance on where I (or someone else!) might
start changing the code?

Thanks much,
  Bert

PS - I've been using dirvish for a month or so and love the way it packages
the rsync snapshotting concept! Thanks!