Question regarding exclude and invalid arg messages

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Mon Jun 30 18:43:31 EST 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 09:42:57AM +0200, Morten Primdahl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running rsync 2.5.6. I use it to backup a RH 7.3 file server
> (samba+appletalk) to a FAT32 external HD. I get the following output:

Huh?  What in the world are you doing?  That description
sounds very strange.

I presume the RH box is the source, what is the rsync
destination box, how does samba+appletalk get involved for a
FAT32.

> .1e6prS failed: Invalid argumentsp_ind/Emails ind/.Icon
> .fJ98aa failed: Invalid argumentsp_ud/Emails ud/.Icon
> .qLRVCT failed: Invalid argumentkt/02_Tegninger/planer/ai/.Icon
> .zM65uw failed: Invalid argumentkt/02_Tegninger/planer/fmz/.Icon

The above messages are garbage.  Incomplete.

> mkstemp 2001_12_Villa_OpNed/01_Korrespondance ind/01
> Bygherre/Emails/.<None>.1.1.8sX6No failed: Invalid argument

This makes little sense.  Are you sure you ran configure?
One other thing. Don't allow line-wrapping of error
messages.

> What exactly constitutes the bad argument here? I'd guess the
> dot-folder.

What "dot-folder"?  If you are talking about the garbage
lines and .Icon is a folder i know it isn't mkstemp that is
the problem but there is no telling what is.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt