Cygwin Rsync 2.5.6 over SSH hangs on Win2k->Win2k

Tillman, James JamesTillman at fdle.state.fl.us
Fri Jun 27 23:46:29 EST 2003

[...]

> While I haven't found the root cause (and I don't know any cygwin
> internals), the following workaround solves the problem for me.
> Replace msleep() wit sleep():
>
>         while ( 1 ) {
>             sleep(1);
>         }
>
> There's something about signals and msleep() that cygwin
> doesn't grok...
>
> Craig

The sleep(1) mod didn't work for me.  I had a hung process within an hour
(processes run every 5 minutes).  I'm going to try applying Anthony
Heading's patch, which was posted earlier this morning (Subject: PATCH/RFC:
Another stab at the Cygwin hang problem) to see if it works for me.  I've
got nothing to lose at this point!

I had been questioning the wisdom of the whole kill/signal usage, myself,
but I'm certainly not experienced enough at this point to have a worthy
opinion in such matters...  There's almost certainly a reason it was done
that way.

jpt