patch draft for extended attributes on linux

Ben Escoto bescoto at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 27 18:04:02 EST 2003

  MP> This draft patch adds support for transferring extended
  MP> attributes with a new --xattr option.  It ought to work on Linux
  MP> with XFS or ext2/ext3 filesystems with the SGI/bestbits
  MP> attribute system.

What happens when ACLs are present on the source filesystem?  It looks
like listxattr will include the "system.xxx" attributes used by acls,
and then the destination side will try to set them using setxattr, but
this will fail because only "user.xxx" attributes can be set with
setxattr.

But I could be wrong in a number of places, because I'm not sure about
the behavior of setxattr, and I just skimmed the patch quickly.

--
Ben Escoto