various "rsync: connection unexpectedly closed" errors on debian

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Jun 25 09:20:23 EST 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 01:03:43AM +0800, wearitdown at myrealbox.com wrote:
> jw schultz wrote:

> >>Hi.  Okay, on the server I am downloading from, it shows the following
> >>(doesn't seem very detailed, if more details are needed, how do I ask
> >>the admin to increase it?):
> >>
> >>  2003/06/21 18:07:03 [2020] rsync: name lookup failed for
> >>  203.208.246.57: Name or service not known
> >>  2003/06/21 18:07:04 [2020] rsync on gentoo-portage/ from UNKNOWN
> >>  (203.208.246.57)
> >>  2003/06/21 18:12:16 [2020] rsync error: timeout in data send/receive
> >>  (code 30) at io.c(103)
> >>

> >Ahh, there it is.  A timeout.  You must be overriding the
> >default and setting it too short for the work you want done..
> >

> That's interesting.  At that time, my client did indeed run --timeout
> 300 (the 5 minute gap fits the above interval almost exactly).  So it
> does indeed look like the timeout was the most pressing cause of the
> disconnection.
>
> However, correct me if I'm wrong but, a 5 minute timeout during which
> there is no activity is quite unusual.  When I sync against other
> servers, the entire sync will normally only last 1-2 minutes.  I thought

A five minute interval between packets is suspicious.  I
think the longest potential for delays are rsync are block sum
generation, and matching with a completely changed file.
But block sums are done file-by-file and matching is done
chunk-by-chunk.  For that kind of delay either packets are
getting dropped or the rsync process is getting starved on
one end.

> this odd, so I removed the --timeout from my client, and obtained errors
> similar to the below (
> "error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)").
>
> So, I asked the site admin to send me logs again.  The following is
> indicative of the logs.
>
> 2003/06/24 23:30:02 [10939] rsync on gentoo-portage from UNKNOWN
> (203.208.241.235)
> 2003/06/24 23:34:57 [10939] rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
> 2003/06/24 23:34:57 [10939] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data
> stream (code 12) at io.c(177)
>

> He also said he noticed that when clients fail to specify -z or
> --compress, their sync's against him fail  (he runs the server with
> --compress.  He suggested that I run my syncs with -z, and lo and
> behold, he was right and that sync worked..
>
> >>Not being much of a programmer, I can only hazard a guess that something
> >>in io.c on the server and client don't agree, possibly due to a mistake
> >>on my part.  (The server in this case ran "/usr/bin/rsync --daemon
> >>--no-detach --safe-links --compress --timeout=1800", but I definitely
> >>ran without -z or --compress on my client, so compression should not
> >>have been enabled, right?)
> >>

> >--timeout=1800
> >
> >Evidently 3 minutes isn't long enough.
> >

> Okay, I'm pretty confused now.  Here's my attempt to summarise the
> problems I faced, and what I think is happening.
>
> 1) Require "--compress" when sync'ing aginst rsyncd's that run with
> --compress.
> I consistently (100% of the time) fail to sync against some gentoo
> mirrors (rsync1.jp and rsync1.us) when my client doesn't specify
> --compress.  When I do specify --compress, the sync appers to complete
> successfully.  Is this -- requiring the client to turn on compression if
> the server does -- by design, as I haven't seen anything about this in
> the man pages?

This is a case where someone is using rsync in a way not
anticipated.  Most of the options change a setting from a
default value.  Normally this is done on the server via the
rsyncd.conf file and on the client command-line.  Setting an
option on the server like this changes its default behaviour
but there is no way to change it back and the protocol does
not have a way for the server to communicate its settings to
the client.

I can understand a public rsync server owner wanting to
require compression to reduce the bandwidth usage.  Setting
compression on the command line of the server does do this.
Such an act should be accompanied by a notification.  I'd
suggest you thank the site manager for his patience and
forward this to him so he can add a notice and more rapidly
address the issue in future.

> 2) timeout in data send/receive at io.c
> Even when 1) is not causing problems, I still frequently fail to sync
> due to "timeout in data send/receive at io.c".  I had previously set
> --timeout 300 on my client, but have since removed that parameter.  I'm
> quite stumped by what is causing this timeout in the first place.  Is
> there any way to increase logging to find out?

Packet loss, one end is getting starved on the scheduler, or
insanely slow disk i/o.

One other possibility is that the compression may be causing
timeouts because both the compressor and decompresser have to
process the whole file even if the only part that is
transmitted is the very end.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt