RSYNC spawns two child processes

Gaydos, John jsg19168 at GlaxoWellcome.com
Tue Jun 24 00:14:22 EST 2003

I am new to RSYNC but it appears to me that RSYNC spawns off two child
processes, both doing a REMSH access to the remote system?
This does not appear to be documented. I am guessing that the reason for
this is that the first child process is used to read the list of files to be
transferred (descend the directory tree) and the second child process is
actually used to transfer the files? This would confirm why the second
process accumulates alot more CPU time than the first process.
Just curious, any explanations? or did I miss some documentation somewhere?

John Gaydos